As many of you know, in recent months there has been confusion in regards to bills from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD). The Archdiocese of Chicago Real Estate Department and the Office of Legal Services recently met with the MWRD in order to resolve the current confusion and devise a plan of action moving forward.
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
- The MWRD encompasses the City of Chicago and most cities, suburbs, townships, and villages that are located in Cook County, with the exception of certain communities located in the far northwest corner and far southern portion of Cook County.
- MWRD does not provide water or local sewer service. The services provided by the MWRD include the treatment and disposal of sewage, industrial waste, and other wastes generated by the user after it passes through the local sewer system.
- Each Parish within Cook County is charged an annual user fee for MWRD services. This is an annual charge that must be paid or the parish will face fines and penalties.
- Parishes must complete and submit to MWRD the 7f Annual User Charge form ONCE. Subject to MWRD verification of the form, all future bills will be based on the information provided on this form. If you haven’t done so, please submit either the 2013 or 2014 form to MWRD by May 11, 2015. Once you have submitted the form it will not be required in the future unless the parish experiences changed circumstances, such as a significant increase or decrease in water usage. If you need a copy of the form, please contact MWRD directly at (312) 751-3000.
- Parishes should have paid their 2013 and 2014 MWRD bills that were calculated based on the 7f Annual User Charge form. If you have not already paid your 2013 and 2014 invoices from MWRD, the MWRD will be issuing revised invoices for 2013 and 2014 and has agreed to waive penalty and interest charges for these years only, in recognition that this is a new process for the parishes. Please pay these invoices promptly.
- After you have completed the 7f Annual User Charge form and submitted it to MWRD and you have paid the 2013 and 2014 MWRD invoices, you will be billed annually by MWRD starting in 2015.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact the MWRD directly at (312) 751-3000.