Office for Child Abuse Investigations and Review & Assistance Ministry: Matters Involving an Allegation of the Sexual Abuse of a Minor by a Lay Employee or Volunteer of the Archdiocese of Chicago
- The person reporting the abuse is invited to contact the Office for Child Abuse Investigations and Review (CAIR).
- You will be invited to formalize your allegation with the Office for Child Abuse Investigations and Review, who will also be accompanied by a member of the Office of Assistance Ministry. You will be invited to have anyone with you if you wish, such as a friend or family member, spouse, attorney, and/or therapist.
- During the meeting, you will be asked to provide information about your background (i.e. your family, where you grew up, school and employment history) and information regarding the incident or incidents of abuse.
- The representative from the Office of Assistance Ministry will provide you with information about resources and services that may be available to you.
- The information that you share will be recorded and returned to you in the form of a typed draft for your review.
- If the accused is alive, the intent will be for a member of the Office for Child Abuse and Investigations and Review to present your allegation to the accused and ask for his/her response. A copy of the report of your allegation will be given to the accused.
- In cases where the accused is a current employee or volunteer in the Archdiocese of Chicago, the investigation of the matter will continue as determinations are made as to the accused’s future ability to be employed or volunteer in the Archdiocese of Chicago.